Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dear Avon Lady

Thirty years ago you rang my doorbell... and saved my sanity. 

We were a couple of city kids who romanticized about moving out to the country and living a natural life.  We wanted land and a nice little house, a place to raise a family in the wild.  When we started looking though, it became clear immediately that we could afford a house or land but not both.  Then the realator remembered a place... ten acres of wooded land along a creeek, with a fenced pasture and mobile home.  Perfect!  We'd build our house later, the house we'd dreamed of.

We moved out there and made it home.  Vinny was a UPS delivery driver then and took our only car into the city every day.  He worked late and it was a long drive home.  I was 4 months pregnant and alone.  So alone.

One day the door bell rang and it was you, the friendly neighborhood Avon Lady.  You sat beside me on my hand-me-down sofa and brought my new community into my living room.  We talked.  You told me you sell Avon mostly just to get to know people and share God's love with them.  I told you about my increasing apprehension regarding my pregancyand being out here all alone with no vehicle and not knowing anyone to call if something happened.  You gave me your phone number and said to call you.  Several days later you took me on a little field trip to meet my neighbors.

Thirty years late... I thank you for your beautiful, neighborly hospitality. ♥

No comments: