Saturday, May 31, 2008

Dear Soldier,

Memorial Day. I do not want to be that person who only cares now and then. Today I found some addresses to write to soldiers and I will start doing that again. When you know someone in the thick of battle, in harm's way, it stays close to you. It stays real. It's always close to the surface of one's reality even when not consciously thinking about it. I've fallen away from that kind of thought but I need to bring it closer than just an occasional blurb on the news.

My friend, Austin, was in the Marines and did 3 tours in Iraq. Austin went through the horror of an ambush where several in his unit were killed, including his commanding officer. He also experienced a bullet ricocheting around inside his humvee, constant bombardments to his base to name a few of the things I know of. One doesn't really ever get over that sort of thing. When he finally returned for good he wanted something to remember his 6 lost brothers. He had an idea for a tattoo and asked me to design it for him. I did.

Austin still struggles with PSD and nightmares and other issues that often go hand in hand with that. The good news for you guys out there is that he has met a woman who is willing to stick by him on the journey and he is getting married this fall.

There is life after war. Believe in yourself. Believe that God will stand by you always and help you. When you are knocked down, he'll pick you up or send someone to help you get up.

Pray for it and then watch for it.

Blessings to all and thank you, my friends, for your incredible sacrifice

No comments: