Thursday, June 29, 2006

Dear Proud-to-be-an-Atheist

I won't tell you this to your face but.... I feel so sorry for you. I like you, have even come to love you, and it makes me so sad to see your struggles in life with no one beside you to help you carry the load. If only you knew the boundless and eternal love of God. If only you could feel Jesus' arms encircle you and dissolve your pain into only warmth. But you reject Jesus and deny God. so it is.

I've known you since you were 5 years old, a friend of my son's. I have a photo of you all at his July birthday party when you were all painted up like Indians, making muscles and silly faces before the ensuing waterfight.

You were always the quiet one. The one that never really looked you in the eye. Always guarded. Shy to the very definition and... wary. Afraid to let anyone see your heart. And that was even before your Mom left your Dad... and both of you kids to fend for yourselves.

I knew your Mom and liked her back then. We were all shocked but, of course, know one really knows what is happening in another's marriage. She must have had her reasons.

I am surprised, really that you and Casey have remained friends all these years. You are so very different but Casey has always been attracted to the "downtrodden" and I suppose you value the fact that he sticks by you even in your quietness and your intellectualism (which is way beyond him) and just lets you be you. Casey is good at that. You are also tolerant of his sometimes arrogance and his own neediness to be loved. A good match perhaps for lifelong friends.

As the mother of your friend I have remained at the very edges of your life. You are 22 years old and you have a mother who loves you...but I have tried to stay interested and involved. We encourage your participation in our family as much as possible. You show up our dinner table now and then and you are always welcome there. Casey has taken you with us on our family ski trip and our family vacation camping in Custer State Park. That was only a week after your father died of brain cancer.

You are still the quiet one but I have also seen your funny side. Your wit is quick and can be stinging. When you let loose, and I'm sure you do with your friends, you can be the funniest one there with your smart remarks. I am certain there is so much more to you than you let on. You are incredibly creative and artistic and smart. You have just graduated from college and now you are searching, searching, searching.

You tried to get into the Peace Corps but you were not accepted. What a disappointment that was for you. That's the reason I invited you to join us on the Mission Trip to Mississippi. I warned you that it was a group of Methodists but you came anyway. I know you must've hated those daily devotionals and worships every evening but you came.

Of anyone I know, YOU NEED GOD IN YOUR LIFE. He is what you are searching for! I have found there are two kinds of people that just find God impossible. The wealthy (just about every American by the world's standards, see www.globalrichlist.com ) have a little problem putting God first. It is my biggest struggle as a Christian. The second is the Intellectual. If you can't explain it, if it doesn't make sense, if there is no proof, if YOU can't understand it, well, it just can't be possible. You have such a big belief in your own power of intellect that there is no possibility for something that is beyond your understanding. Too bad.

So...try to expose you to what real family life is like, not all perfect by a long shot but plenty of love and closeness. I try to show you that all Christians aren't puitans and judgemental. Yeah, we are probably all hypocrits now and then or more often but we just keep trying to do better. We know we can't give up because God is counting on us. He loves us through our mistakes and our questions and he shows us th joy in the small moments and the good in everything even when things look bad. Oh, how I wish you knew this, too. You need our Savior.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm, actually for most of us atheists, it's all about a liberation, a freedom from fear of the dark, freedom to live in truth rather than fit into myth, freedom from fairies, big foots and angry sky gods, the empowerment of acknowledging and loving our fellow human beings as the source of our problems but also with the ability to solve those same problems.
If you have a friend who has a different life stance to yours, why not just be a friend instead of being trying to be some kind of god-squad thought police. Love people and love freedom more than you love your sky god and the world will just be alright!

Imaginella said...

Labour Humanist... you sound so sad and bitter. You sure don't know the God that I know! Feeling God's unconditional love is extremely liberating. Knowing him makes me feel empowered, confident and joy-filled! I wish the same for you some day.